The National Assembly for Wales (NAfW) requested that Eliesha create a programme to provide individual, personal and professional development for Assembly Members Support Staff. These individuals provide confidential personal support to Elected Members, group managers, researchers, case workers, office managers and administrative support staff, in a highly politically-sensitive environment. They are located in Constituency Offices and in the Assembly buildings in Cardiff.
National Assembly for Wales
Individual, Personal and Professional Development
The programme was to concentrate on highly topical and generic transferable skills, knowledge and behaviours to increase capability and capacity across this wide range of staff recognising their essential and unique contribution to the National Assembly. It needed to develop a common set of skills, knowledge and behaviour whilst being flexible enough to meet the needs of a mixture of grades and roles, staff operating under different terms and condition and a range of locally managed policies and procedures. There was a further requirement that the development opportunity should provide recognised national qualifications which are equally valid across a wide spectrum of employment sectors.
Eliesha designed a programme at middle and strategic management levels with the aim of improving the skills and behaviours that complement good leadership and management, specifically:
- Managing Self and Others
- Leadership and Collaborative Working
- Managing Team Performance to provide excellent services
- Effective Communications and Information Management
- Coaching for Results - using coaching in everyday leadership and management
- Self-Assessment Tools - a selection to enable delegates to assess their strengths and areas for potential development
Development techniques ensured that the programme delivered the following:
- Stretch and challenge Motivation - creating buy-in and engagement
- Driving up a performance culture
- Greater softer skills including knowledge sharing, sharing good business practice and creating informal networks
- The use of practical business relevant case studies and assignments These programmes led to achievement of the CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership and the Level 7 Certificate in Strategic Management and Leadership.
The programme was successfully received and was delivered to cohorts of learners at levels 5 and 7. Further modules were included within the Level 5 Certificate to create a new 38 credit Diploma and the Certificate programme was rolled out to further cohorts. The client requested the enhancement of the Level 7 Certificate to the CMI 39 credit Diploma as a progression route for their certificate group.